Thursday, October 31, 2013

Second Post

Blake

The month of October at CARE has been really great. I finished my 15 required hours for Summit this month and I am trying to incorporate more. During my time at Care this month I performed a lot of duties similar to those in September. I cleaned the dogs’ cages, washed dishes, and walked the dogs. I also got to experience one of the not so fun aspects of working at the animal shelter. I got nipped by a puppy during one of my visits and had to cope with that. This was a great learning experience for me because it showed me how in life you are always going to have to deal with different obstacles. This month we also met with our faculty advisor and that was very beneficial. We have still been donating shredded paper for the shelter to use. This month at CARE was really great.

Mitch

During the month of October I was only able to get in one visit to the CARE shelter. This is because I have been too busy managing my time elsewhere. The beginning of this week was the first time I was able to go. We are on the schedule to work during a certain time during the week. This time is later on monday. However I was never able to go because of conflicts with other activities. The biggest conflict has been my architecture classes. Every Monday for the past while now I have had something due that next day and needed to stay in the studio to finish that project. The one time I was able to help at the CARE shelter i did somethings that i had never done before at that location. My first task at the shelter was to put all the towels and linens in the dryer. This was the first time i did that at CARE but was already very very good at it because I had done it a few time before. My second task at CARE was to take out the dogs for a short five to ten minute walk. I had never done this at this location was was surprised when I opened the cage door and the dog squeezed past me and on to the floor. Luckily the dog did not want to get away because the door to the building was propped open. When i turned around the dog was just standing there waiting for the leash. I continued to cautiously take the dog and the rest on their short walk before putting them in there cages. It was an all around fun visit. 


Logan

As the four of us are starting to get more used to volunteering at CARE and with the tasks that 
the staff have been giving us, it has become even more of a greater experience. The more that 
we have been volunteering, the more variety of tasks that the staff have given us. In our first 
few weeks of volunteering there were a couple of dogs that the staff would not allow us to walk 
but since we have become more used to the shelter, the staff have allowed us to walk every dog. 
Even though I have been playfully bite by a couple dogs a few times, everything is still going 
well and I am having a great time working with the dogs and doing anything I possibly can to 
help.



Jamen

 Working at C.A.R.E. has been a fantastic experience so far. I have really enjoyed working with all the animals throughout this semester. I have also really enjoyed getting to know and working with all the other volunteers and employees. These are truly amazing people who really care about the animals and about finding them a home. Since we have started volunteering here at C.A.R.E. they have had a lot of success in finding homes for the animals. I has been an awesome experience and I look forward to seeing more of this amazing non-profit organization at work. My favorite moment at C.A.R.E. so far was when I got to take one of the dogs out and help with an adoption I was talking to the potential owner and was telling them all about this awesome dog, and come to find out that the next day the dog was adopted. I was so excited the the wonderful dog finally found a good home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment